Are you a newbie? Getting started can be a daunting task but don’t fret! The first thing to do when transitioning or embarking on a healthy hair journey is to decide on a routine or regimen. It’s best to keep it simple when starting out so we’ve broken it down for you. There are a few things to consider when creating a regimen.
1. Cleanser/Co-Wash: Sulfate-free shampoo is best for curly-kinky-coily hair because it doesn’t strip the hair of its natural oils like sulfate containing shampoos do. Alternatively wash your hair with conditioner.
2. Conditioner: Always detangle your hair while wet and saturated with conditioner. Use a wide-toothed comb or your fingers, detangling from the ends on up.
3. Deep Conditioner: Apply a deep conditioner to your hair once a week. Cover your hair with a shower cap, grocery bag or steam your hair to help infuse the moisture into your strands.
3. Moisturize/Leave-In: After rinsing use a leave-in moisturizer. This step is essential to maintaining moisture in your hair between washes. “Listen” to your hair and the way it acts when different amounts and different products are applied to your hair.
4. Seal: A little oil (a little goes a long way) will help to seal in the moisture from your leave-in. You can also apply an oil to the ends of your hair daily to help keep them moisturized and prevent breakage. Avacado oil, Extra Virgin Olive/Coconut oil, and Jojoba oil are all great sealants.
*Note: If using products containing non-water-soluble silicones, a shampoo containing sulfate should be used to prevent buildup. *
Did you find this article helpful? Leave a comment! Questions? Let me know!